Semper Reformanda

Some thoughts on the Church, theology, books, and whatever else.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Peters, Missouri, United States

I am studying philosophy at Lindenwood Universtiy in St. Charles Missouri. I have a brother and a sister, two great parents and we are all members of New Covenant Church. After I graduate, I'm planning on attending Covenant Theological Seminary.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Meditations

Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us? Why then are we faithless to one another, profaning the covenant of our fathers?
Malachi 2:10

Once again this morning I was reminded of how vast, unknowable, and yet how wonderfully faithful God truly is; and subsequently I was reminded of how utterly limited, simple, and devastatingly faithless a creature I am. I pride myself in my knowledge, my ability, all the time blind to the inestimable greatness of a God that given all eternity I would still not even begin to catch a glimpse of. I try to pray and I am only ashamed and embarrassed by my inability to express anything that should even begin to concern Him.

"Why did the Son of God become man, one of us, our Brother, our Fellow in the human situation? The answer is: In order to judge the world. But in the light of what God has actually done we must add at once: In order to judge it in the exercise of His kingly freedom to show His grace in the execution of His judgment, to pronounce us free in passing sentence, to free us by imprisoning us, to ground our life on our death, to redeem and save us by our destruction. That is how God has actually judged in Jesus Christ."
-Karl Barth

Once again this morning I was reminded of how incomprehensible the work of Christ is; and subsequently, I was reminded that I truly am counted righteous and that one day that righteousness shall be evident in its fullness because of the work of Christ. I take pride, not in anything of myself, but in the person and the work of Jesus Christ on the cross, continually thanking God that he has given me more than just a glimpse of what He is like, but revealed Himself in fullness to me. I start to pray and I encounter the Living God who has heard my words and does not neglect them but responds with the assurance of His Son.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tips & Tweaks: Cool Tools, and a Personal Note
I have a short sidebar in my "Hassle-Free PC" print column called "Tool of the Month." Unfortunately, the column's a monthly, so even though I run across free and low-cost utilities all the time, I can only ...
Hi, I’m new to blogging and I’m trying to figure this thing out! I think my kids were born knowing how to do this thing… but not me! I had no idea there are so many neat sites out there. I’m looking for info on Gold Prospector and landed here just looking around. Would you mind if I add you to my favorites and just drop by every once in a while?

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, man. It's good to see someone put those thoughts into words. How easy it is to fall into the pride of forgetting how finite we are and how amazing God's grace really is in our lives. His ways are so incredible we can hardly catch a glimpse of His vast power and holiness.

Soli deo Gloria!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home