Semper Reformanda

Some thoughts on the Church, theology, books, and whatever else.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Peters, Missouri, United States

I am studying philosophy at Lindenwood Universtiy in St. Charles Missouri. I have a brother and a sister, two great parents and we are all members of New Covenant Church. After I graduate, I'm planning on attending Covenant Theological Seminary.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Jesus Loves Karl Barth

A reporter once asked Dr. Barth if he could summarize what he had said in his lengthy Church Dogmatics. Dr. Barth thought for a moment and then said: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

Perhaps the most amazing statement of all time. There is so much communicated in these few words, and yet they are some of the first learned by children growing up in the church. How astounding is it that the man who did more than anyone else to shape the study of theology in the twentieth century can sum up the complexities of his life's work in this simple phrase that is earnestly sung by so many Sunday school students?

The Good News which has saved our lives is all the more astonishing for the fact that this simple confession is as relevant to the eighty year old as to the eight year old. Yet, I'm sure that for some this is little more than a trite phrase, worn out form years of repetition. As we grow and mature in Christ, the wonder and the mystery behind these words should not decrease, but only grow. As children, we know that we are singing about someone wonderful, someone who has done something great. As we begin to mature, we realize just what it was that was done on our behalf. We are not simply singing about someone who is nice to us and shows great affection towards us. Rather, we are as we grow in Christ, we are given a greater understanding or our sin and rebellion towards God. From this, we realize that to say "Jesus loves me," is far different from saying, "My Mother loves me," or "My friend loves me." To say "Jesus loves me," is to say that the eternal God who we have displayed blatant hatred towards, has acted on our behalf in the person of Christ to reconcile us to the Father and to save us from eternal punishment.

When we say that "The Bible tells me so," we are confessing that not only has Jesus acted on our behalf in this way, but that he has revealed these saving acts in literary form. He has not only saved us, but he has provided us with a collection of books to instruct us in who he is, how he has saved us, and how he will shape us to look like him. We are not left in any doubt over what Jesus has done for us, but are given historic testimonies to saving power of Christ throughout all of history. So, if ever you find yourself at a loss words when you go to pray, or if you feel that you have nothing to thank and praise God for, simply remember that Jesus loves you, for the Bible tells you so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home