Semper Reformanda

Some thoughts on the Church, theology, books, and whatever else.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Peters, Missouri, United States

I am studying philosophy at Lindenwood Universtiy in St. Charles Missouri. I have a brother and a sister, two great parents and we are all members of New Covenant Church. After I graduate, I'm planning on attending Covenant Theological Seminary.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is Reformed Enough?


In an attempt to become more familiar with the current Auburn Avenue debate, I recently read Douglas Wilson's Reformed is Not Enough. This was written in 2002, the same time that Wilson, Steve Wilkens, Steve Schlissel, and John Barach were accused by the Covenant Presbytery of the RPCUS of teaching new doctrines that deny some of the essential elements of justification. It was claimed that their teachings were "contrary to the Bible and the Westminster standards." These accusations were brought in light of teachings offered by these four at the Auburn Avenue Pastor's Conference at Auburn Avenue Presbyterian Church. This book addresses largely the same issues that brought these charges and also acts to some degree as a response to them. It also serves the purposes of being a primer on the basics of the Auburn Avenue position, albeit a fairly conservative statement of these positions.

I must admit, I don't care much for the little of Wilson that I have read before, and no doubt, this prejudice will come through to a degree in my response to this book. The driving theme behind Wilson's attempt to "reform" the Reformation tradition is the idea of the "objectivity of the covenant." His conception of the objective nature of the covenant includes removing the distinction of the visible and the invisible church, affirming a form of baptismal regeneration, allowing for true "Christians" (according to his understanding of anyone who makes a profession of faith and partakes in the sacraments as a true Christian without acknowledging that there are false brothers present in the midst of the Church - if this sounds confusing then we're in the same boat) to fall away from salvation, a view of justification that includes an eschatalogical vindication according to a believers faithfulness to the covenant, among other things. According to Wilson, if the covenant is truly objective in nature and if the sacraments are truly affective, then anyone who apparently enters into covenant with God and his church and partakes of the sacraments must receive the blessings that they confer and therefore must be saved in a very real sense.

Wilson spends the first part of the book attempting to secure his allegiance to traditional Reformed thought. He would add, however, that most modern Reformed theologians, being influenced by Enlightenment thought, have misrepresented the Westminster Divines and even Calvin himself, who were writing from a medieval perspective. However, his exposition of the Confession seems more than a little forced at most points. He generally affirms the traditional understanding of a particular passage and then adds a certain element or nuance that he claims has been lost. Most of the language that he uses is extremely orthodox, and one would be hard pressed to find particular comments or formulations that could actually be called heretical (although I do believe they are there for the astute reader). However, the general emphasis of his position certainly seems to lean towards a works righteousness, with more emphasis placed on the individual's faithfulness to the covenant than on God's faithfulness to preserve the elect; more on man holding up his end of the covenant than on the Holy Spirit working effectually upon the individual. While Wilson is certainly more guarded in his language than some of the other Auburn Avenue theologians, he certainly seems to be communicating the same thing. When it comes down to it, his view of the covenant and justification is closer to that of N.T. Wright and the New Perspectives on Paul (see post http://tacstout.blogspot.com/2006/01/nt-wright-fresh-perspective-or-simply.html) than the traditional Reformed position. Ultimately, this is not a "new paradigm" or even a return to a more faithful representation of the traditional Reformed faith. Rather, it is the same mistake than originally caused the Reformers to separate from Rome and the mistake that Christians have always made and will probably always continue to make until Christ's return; it is the attempt to combine human works with the work of Christ in justification.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware.

Is not 'New Covenant' Church a charismatic church?

I have seen your church group's dabblings into the Reformed. Your pastors love to quote Sproul, but do not pervert the Lord's Holy and inerrant Word, nor Dr. Sproul's teachings, by grasping onto the writings of the Auburn Avenue heretics.

For Paul has made mention the 'thorn in his side' yet the Lord tells him that His 'grace is sufficient' for Paul. (2 Corinthians 12:7-9)

There is a book -- and a short one at that -- called "The Covenant of Grace" by John Murray. It's $2.99 at your beloved Covenant Theological Seminary. It thoroughly explains (with accompanying scripture references) how we are under grace and what that really means.

These heretics says that God's grace is not sufficient, and it is God's grace PLUS our efforts and works that secure our place in heaven.

Not So! James says (regarding professions of faith): "But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith **by what I do**." (James 2:18 [Emphasis mine])

Surely you are familiar with the fruit of the Spirit? Galatians 5:22-23 lists them -- "...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." These are the things that James refers as "by what I do."

A man that faithfully goes to church on Sunday with his family, then goes to his home and rapes his wife and beats his children is an example (and sharp contrast) of one who says that he serves the Lord, yet the Spirit is not in him. He is a liar, and a blasphemer.

The Auburn Avenue authors would have you think that not only should you go to church on Sunday with your family, but you should adorn sack cloth and ashes on your forehead like Kings of old, making a known spectical of youself in the effort to 'appear' Holy.

These men deny the very essence of our Adoption as God's children (Ephesians 1:4-6) and also our very Justification in the sight of God (Acts 13:39, Romans 3:24,28;4:1-2) and therefore their teachings are contrary to the Scriptures and the very Westminster Confession of Faith that their whole denomination declares and stands behind.

Beware, indeed.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Andrew Stout said...

A couple of things to adress here:

(1) Thanks for reading the blog and taking time to comment. I mostly keep it up for my own benefit and enjoyment, so anytime that someone else contributes is really fun. As far as your critique of the Auburn Avenue theologians, I heartily agree.

If it seemed that I was sympathetic towards them in my post or that I do not consdier their teachings to be serious and dangerous errors, I'd like to assure, that is not the case. I've not simply formed my opinion by reading Wilson and the others in the group. As a matter of fact, I've read more that is critical of their position than I have of their actual writings.

In reviewing Reformed is Not Enough, my attempt was to do so in humility and with graciousness. If that caused me to err in seeming too easy on their position then all I can say is that I would rather be to gracious than too critical. I'll leave the calling out and condemning to the professional theologians and pastors.

(2) While, as I said, I greatly appreciate people taking time to comment, I am going to start monitering the comments that I receive to filter out the comments left anonymously. It is not that I mind anonymous comments in general, but because of commnets like this one, I am no longer going to post them.

I don't mind people criticizing what I post. As a matter of fact, that's the fun of blogging and a risk that you take when you put something that you've written out for public consumption. However, when a comment is left that denigrates my church family, such as this one has, it is no longer an issue of critizing my personal thoughts, but of taking cheap shots at the Body of Christ. If you don't agree with the position of our church, fine. That is something you could bring up in a respectful way and we could discuss it. However, that is not the manner in which this comment was made.

I hope that nothing that I have posted to this point has encouraged this type of degrading language to be used when speaking of our brothers and sisters in Christ and I will certainly be careful in the future to avoid such attitudes myself.

Last thing: I'm not asking anyone to leave their full name or email adress or anything like that. I would just ask that as a matter of courtesy you leave a first name.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home