Semper Reformanda

Some thoughts on the Church, theology, books, and whatever else.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Peters, Missouri, United States

I am studying philosophy at Lindenwood Universtiy in St. Charles Missouri. I have a brother and a sister, two great parents and we are all members of New Covenant Church. After I graduate, I'm planning on attending Covenant Theological Seminary.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Blood, Guts, and a Toilet


This weekend is the New Covenant Church's men's retreat, and we are going to have the privilege of hearing from Tony Ling, a prophet and teacher from England. I can think of few people I look forwarding to hearing from more, especially since I haven't had the opportunity to hear him in person since I was much younger. I was probably ten or eleven the last time I heard him, but phrases such as, "Blood, guts and a toilet!" describing the story of Ehod and King Eglon in Judges 3, or "Shamgar, Son of Anath! [shouted as though it was the name of a superhero]" also of Judges 3 who killed six hundred Philistines with an oxgoad, will stick with me as long as I live, reminding me of the obscure but powerful stories all throughout Scripture. These types of messages are Mr. Ling's specialty, but despite the humor, it is far more than a simple gimmick. He uses these stories in such a way as to bring timely words and true prophetic vision to the people of God in a way quite unlike any other. I'm looking forward to an amazing weekend, sure to be full of exposition of the word, prophetic insight, great fellowship, and undoubtedly, some pick up basketball (sure to result in many bruised and aching middle-aged men).

2 Comments:

Blogger Kyle Reed said...

Sounds like a good weekend. We are talking about Joshua and Judges in my Hebrew class, two great books of the Bible. I have finished chosen by God twice now, very interesting and makes a lot more sense to me.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you guys had a good time with Tony. There are few men who have influenced me more in terms of revelation and insight into the Scriptures than Tony Ling - and I'm sure many over here in the UK would echo that.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home